Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing to begin supporting digital car keys in the Wallet app for certain Volvo, Polestar, and Audi vehicles, based on code changes discovered by MacRumors in Apple's Wallet app backend.

volvo-polestar-audi.jpg

‌The car keys‌ function can allow an iPhone or Apple Watch with NFC capabilities to unlock, lock, or start a vehicle through the Wallet app by simply holding the device near a compatible vehicle's NFC reader. Car key functionality may vary by manufacturer and model.

Apple introduced ‌digital car key support‌ in 2022, and select car brands like BMW, BYD, Hyundai/Genesis/Kia, Lotus, Mercedes-Benz, and RAM have implemented support for the feature‌. Apple maintains a full list of vehicles that support ‌car keys‌ on its CarPlay model availability web page.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Add Support for Digital Car Keys on Volvo, Polestar, and Audi Vehicles

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
I am still trying to figure out how official Car Key support is different from the apps the car manufacturer's use. Was debating a 2025 Mini Cooper, which says I can use my phone to unlock and start my car, but no mention of it on Apple's site and it mentions a MINI app.

Reactions: bbbobbb

LuissCM

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2014
Alabama
I'm a bit confused. I've been using digital car keys in Lexus and Tesla vehicles for some years now. These cars even recognized the driver - my spouse also has digital keys. However, these keys don't show up on my wallet app. I just open the vehicle driver's door. Is this Apple implementation a different approach that requires users to hold the phone against a vehicle NFC reader?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How about Tesla? Wait that was done 10+ years ago.
Unless I'm mistaken, this feature enables the phone to work as a key even when it's dead. It's writing to the NFC chip on the phone (or maybe just pairing the chip to the car) so that the car can passively read it even if the phone is dead.

So this would reduce the need for Tesla's keycards (of course, the keycard is still nice for valet.)

LuissCM

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2014
Alabama
Yawn. You cannot unlock a Tesla with the Apple Wallet. You can unlock it with the Tesla App but that’s not what this is.

The way these "dumb" digital keys work allow you to use/unlock your vehicle by just opening the driver door (sure, the manufacturer app needs to be running in the background). Apple's implementation requires you to get your phone out and hold it against the vehicle NFC reader? if so the only advantage I could see is if it works when your phone is dead 🤷‍♂️

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Unless I'm mistaken, this feature enables the phone to work as a key even when it's dead. It's writing to the NFC chip on the phone (or maybe just pairing the chip to the car) so that the car can passively read it even if the phone is dead.

It doesn’t work completely passively. Modern iPhones have an emergency power mode that keeps the NFC chip and other core functions powered by reserving a small amount of battery power for them. This also means that “find my iPhone” still works even with an empty battery.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Yawn. You cannot unlock a Tesla with the Apple Wallet. You can unlock it with the Tesla App but that’s not what this is.

You don’t have to open the app unless you want to unlock it remotely (ie: when you are not near the vehicle).

You just walk up the car with your phone in your pocket and it unlocks automatically. You sit in the driver’s seat and it drives. No other interaction required.

Timster83

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
Tesla’s implementation works extremely well. Absolutely flawless and makes old-fashioned car keys/fobs seem very annoying and silly.
I’ve never had a car key fob fail me. Can’t say the same for a cell phone.

And when I go to the gym, I need my gym fob so the car key is a good place for that. I don’t even take my phone to the gym. 4G watch and earphones wins out.

Reactions: sflagel

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I have been using this on my 2025 X5... absolutely love it. MyiPhone and Apple Watch work great. get within 10-15 feet of the vehicle and the doors lock, and lock when I walk away.

Zero interaction needed. It's really a beautiful thing

Add to that my August lock on my home entry door and it's a keyless world 😆

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.