Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac57mac57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2024
Myrtle Beach, SC
Just a quick note here after a few weeks of using my new M3 Pro based MacBook Pro. I was really on the fence between buying a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro until I noticed one little technical spec that really made a difference to me. The MacBook Air has a maximum screen brightness of 400 nits. The MacBook Pro has a peak brightness of 1600 nits! This is a huge difference, and is of great importance if you regularly find yourself using your MacBook Pro outside.

Now apparently, the MacBook Pro defaults to "only" 500 nits, which is plenty bright, but I discovered an application called Vivid, available for M1, M2 and M3 based MacBook Pros, which unlocks the whole 1600 nit range, normally used by the MBP only for HDR content, for general use. The license for Vivid was just over $US 10 and it has a "try it for free" mode. I tried it for free, loved it and promptly purchased a license.

The display on the MBP is outstanding however, Vivid or not. All by itself, it is a great reason to buy one of these machines.

For the record, I am not associated with the authors of Vivid in any way - just a satisfied customer who wanted to pass this tip along to the readers here. I did find an earlier post on MacRumors after the fact, that talked about Vivid. That post, older, mentioned support for M1 and M2. I am adding to that the fact that Vivid now explicitly supports M3 Pro and M3 Max as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.