Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I upgraded from tvOS 17.4 to tvOS 18 on my 2nd gen Apple TV 4K and the top shelf for the Apple TV app is showing the Apple logo. I have it set to “Up Next”. If I switch to what to watch that works, but Up Next isn’t working.

I tried singing out of the Store, restarting and signing back in but it’s still not populating.

I didn’t try removing my account from the Apple TV or resetting the TV, but I really don’t want to do that because that could mess up Home automations.

Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it?

1726528218009.jpeg

Last edited:

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I tried resetting the Apple TV and that didn’t fix it.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Called Apple Support and was told the engineers are looking into it. The person I spoke to said he had at least 5 calls on it today.

Other people should call in as it sounds like there’s not enough reports yet to consider it a mass problem, so if you are having an issue I would call it in.

• Haha
Reactions: QuarterSwede

pimmelberger

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
I had this "issue" before upgrading to tvOS 18. It is because I use my own DNS in form of a pihole. When I fill in Google DNS everything is fine. As soon as I change the DNS it's "broken". (Or quiet as I like it.)

dallastigers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
TX
I upgraded from tvOS 17.4 to tvOS 18 on my 2nd gen Apple TV 4K and the top shelf for the Apple TV app is showing the Apple logo. I have it set to “Up Next”. If I switch to what to watch that works, but Up Next isn’t working.

I tried singing out of the Store, restarting and signing back in but it’s still not populating.

I didn’t try removing my account from the Apple TV or resetting the TV, but I really don’t want to do that because that could mess up Home automations.

Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it?

View attachment 2419302

Mine is doing this as well. Strangely it started this week even though I had been running the betas and the release candidate for a week without the issue. I turned off getting betas with regular release and didn’t have to update as I was running the RC for a week already, and that’s when I noticed issue (could have started before betas turned off as I hadn’t used it much that day).

Besides some other things already mentioned I turned betas back on and installed 18.1, but There has been no change/fix to those problem. Even though it’s not just issue with 18.1 and started with released 18.0 I need to report through beta process as Regular support unlikely to help since I installed 18.1 beta. It’s only device I have a beta on now, so I don’t have the feedback app installed.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Me too.

What strikes me as very odd here is....

This is a very obvious bug - to anyone that has the TV app in the top shelf (which I would assume is most users?) - and to anyone who has chose to display 'up next'.

My question is.... what the hell were the beta testers playing at for the last 3 months??
I know that the 'developer beta' is mostly overrun with 'fake developers' who just want to use the beta software as early as possible for notoriety on Youtube and Twitter etc...
... but did NONE of them spot this glaring bug and not report it?
I could understand if it were something obscure but it isn't.

I also expect like most times we get iOS releases, that the 0.1 version is no more than a week away.

dallastigers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
TX
Me too.

What strikes me as very odd here is....

This is a very obvious bug - to anyone that has the TV app in the top shelf (which I would assume is most users?) - and to anyone who has chose to display 'up next'.

My question is.... what the hell were the beta testers playing at for the last 3 months??
I know that the 'developer beta' is mostly overrun with 'fake developers' who just want to use the beta software as early as possible for notoriety on Youtube and Twitter etc...
... but did NONE of them spot this glaring bug and not report it?
I could understand if it were something obscure but it isn't.

I also expect like most times we get iOS releases, that the 0.1 version is no more than a week away.
I used top shelf with up next all the time with 18 betas. This wasn’t an issue through the betas and wasn’t an issue with the release candidate which is same build as the released.

I first had the problem after turning betas off after tvOS 18 was released to public on Monday. I can’t be 100% sure if it worked earlier that day before I turned betas off and restarted it, but I think it did which is strange as my Apple TV didn’t need to be updated as its tvOS 18 matched regular release already. But for sure the issue only started that day.

Also, turning betas back on the next day didn’t fix it. Updating to 18.1 beta didn’t fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lotones

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I used top shelf with up next all the time with 18 betas. This wasn’t an issue through the betas and wasn’t an issue with the release candidate which is same build as the released.

I first had the problem after turning betas off after tvOS 18 was released to public on Monday. I can’t be 100% sure if it worked earlier that day before I turned betas off and restarted it, but I think it did which is strange as my Apple TV didn’t need to be updated as its tvOS 18 matched regular release already. But for sure the issue only started that day.

Also, turning betas back on the next day didn’t fix it. Updating to 18.1 beta didn’t fix it.
Well then perhaps its a server-side issue but that still doesn't really explain why and if so why its not a quick fix.

Its a bit flaky all round.

Today, 'Agatha all along' was released by Disney. Going into the TV app and clicking '+' to add to up-next does nothing... at all.

More weird behaviour.

Fingers crossed for 18.0.1. which surely cant be far off.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Top Shelf Up Next is back on both my atv4K 1st & 3rd gen models, just had to perform a restart on them both first.

All appears to be working on both my UK and US accounts except as above with Agatha All Along which won’t add to Up Next, however this isn’t a tvOS issue as it’s the same for my iPhone too.

dallastigers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
TX
That’s unfortunate as I read somewhere that 18.1b4 fixed it for someone.
Like others here I restarted it a little while ago, and Next Up appeared on Top Shelf after a very small wait for 18.1b4. That wait probably seemed longer than it was as after restart with nothing appearing I was contemplating whether I screwed myself over installing the beta just to try and get next up to show on top shelf. Then it appeared.

It’s a strange situation as over past several days I restarted it a couple of times with 18.0 and then restarted it a couple of more times with the 18.1b4 with no luck until just a little while ago.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Just to add my own update..
... although I restarted as the first obvious solution after upgrading on Monday, and again Tuesday, and Wednesday!...

Today I restarted and its now fixed.

An odd problem. Weird how its 'fixed itself' today.

Still cant get Agatha All Along onto up next - never seen this fault before but as someone else said thats happening across devices so iOS/TVOS/iPADOS wide - more likely a fault with Disney's metadata perhaps. Wouldnt be the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.