Festival of Speed is our longest-standing Motorsport event, starting in 1993 when it opened to 25,00 people. We were expecting 2000!
Our replica of the famous motor show showcases the "cars of the future" in true Revival style
The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.
Our gin uses wild-grown botanicals sourced from the estate, and is distilled with mineral water naturally chalk-filtered through the South Downs.
Goodwood’s pigs are a mix of two rare breeds (Gloucester Old Spots and Saddlebacks) plus the Large White Boar.
Built in 1787 by celebrated architect James Wyatt to house the third Duke of Richmond’s prized fox hounds, The Kennels was known as one of the most luxurious dog houses in the world!
Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill
Revel in the history of our hounds with their family trees dating back to some of our earliest documents at Goodwood.
Inspired by the legendary racer, Masten Gregory, who famously leapt from the cockpit of his car before impact when approaching Woodcote Corner in 1959.
Nick Heidfelds 1999 (41.6s) hillclimb record was beaten after Max Chilton in his McMurtry Spéirling fan car tore it to shreds at 39.08s in 2022!
Legend of Goodwood's golden racing era and Le Mans winner Roy Salvadori once famously said "give me Goodwood on a summer's day and you can forget the rest".
The bricks lining the Festival of Speed startline are 100 years old and a gift from the Indianapolis Speedway "Brickyard" in 2011 to mark their centenary event!
Nick Heidfelds 1999 (41.6s) hillclimb record was beaten after Max Chilton in his McMurtry Spéirling fan car tore it to shreds at 39.08s in 2022!
The first public race meeting took place in 1802 and, through the nineteenth century, ‘Glorious Goodwood,’ as the press named it, became a highlight of the summer season
The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.
Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.
Leading women of business, sport, fashion and media, take part in one of the most exciting horseracing events in the world.
The first ever horsebox was used from Goodwood to Doncaster for the 1836 St. Leger. Elis arrived fresh and easily won his owner a £12k bet.
The red & yellow of the Racecourse can be traced back hundreds of years, even captured in our stunning Stubbs paintings in the Goodwood Collection
The first public race meeting took place in 1802 and, through the nineteenth century, ‘Glorious Goodwood,’ as the press named it, became a highlight of the summer season
The Fiat S76 or "Beast of Turin" is a Goodwood favourite and can usually be heard before it is seen at #FOS
Flying jetpacks doesn't have to just be a spectator sport at FOS, you can have a go at our very own Aerodrome!
The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.
The Duke of Richmond holds the title of Duke of Richmond and Gordon. This title reflects the historical association with both the Richmond and Gordon families.
The iconic spitfire covered almost 43,000 kilometres and visited over 20 countries on its epic journey and currently resides at our Aerodrome.
The first ever round of golf played at Goodwood was in 1914 when the 6th Duke of Richmond opened the course on the Downs above Goodwood House.
Ray Hanna famously flew straight down Goodwood’s pit straight below the height of the grandstands at the first Revival in 1998
The first thing ever dropped at Goodwood was a cuddly elephant which landed in 1932 just as the 9th Duke of Richmonds passion for flying was taking off.
The replica of the original Axminster carpet is so lavish that the President of Bulgaria came to visit it before its departure!
Ensure you take a little time out together to pause and take in the celebration of all the hard work you put in will be a treasured memory.
King Edward VII (who came almost every year) famously dubbed Glorious Goodwood “a garden party with racing tacked on”.
Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.
Built in 1787 by celebrated architect James Wyatt to house the third Duke of Richmond’s prized fox hounds, The Kennels was known as one of the most luxurious dog houses in the world!
The Motor Circuit was known as RAF Westhampnett, active from 1940 to 1946 as a Battle of Britain station.
Whoa Simon! A horse so determined and headstrong, he not only won the 1883 Goodwood Cup by 20 lengths, but couldn't be stopped and carried on running over the top of Trundle hill
Flying training began at Goodwood in 1940 when pilots were taught operational flying techniques in Hurricanes and Spitfires.
"En la rose je fleurie" or "Like the rose, I flourish" is part of the Richmond coat of Arms and motto
We have been host to many incredible film crews using Goodwood as a backdrop for shows like Downton Abbey, Hollywood Blockbusters like Venom: let there be Carnage and the Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Just beyond Goodwood House along the Hillclimb, the 2nd Dukes banqueting house was also known as "one of the finest rooms in England" (George Vertue 1747).
A 20m woodland rue, from Halnaker to Lavant, was planted by our forestry teams & volunteers, featuring native species like oak, beech, & hornbeam
I'm delighted to welcome you to Goodwood.com. As with everything we do at Goodwood, this website has been designed to reflect our passion for excellence; for our guests, customers and for our partners. We aim to enhance the experiences of visitors to the estate and our events, while also reaching like-minded people around the world.
The first Duke of Richmond, son of King Charles II, chose Goodwood as his country retreat and bought the original Jacobean house in 1697.
Described as “the most famous ball in history”, the 1815 gathering held in Brussels by the Duchess of Richmond, shortly before the battle of Waterloo, continues to inspire film-makers, authors and artists.
The Dukes of Richmond descend from the natural son of Charles II by his mistress, Louise de Keroualle. This son, Charles Lennox, was made Duke of Richmond and Lennox amongst other titles
Goodwood is synonymous with racing: the first public race meeting took place here in 1802.
Originally serving as a Battle of Britain base during the War, Goodwood Motor Circuit was the centre of British motor racing between 1948 and 1966, playing host to some of the greatest drivers of all time.
Give me Goodwood on a summer’s day and you can forget the rest of the world.
ROY SALVADORI
British Racing Driver
Today, we are recognised around the world for our flagship events and are known as the home of exceptional luxury experiences.
Both the Racecourse and the Motor Circuit are busy all year round, within the Motor Circuit is Goodwood Aerodrome, our historic airfield.
Our 11,000 acre estate is best experienced from a stay in one of our charming cottages, Goodwood Hotel, or luxury sporting lodge.
Goodwood is also famous for our food. We control every aspect of production, from the fields where cattle, sheep and pigs graze to the in-house butchery and eventually to the kitchen – where the dishes are created.
Farmer, Butcher Chef delivers on its promise. Beautiful meat, butchered and cooked with the reverence it so rightly deserves.
The Mail on Sunday
Newspaper
We are committed to creating a fully sustainable estate for generations to come. Our mission is to drive enthusiasm, spark creativity, and pave the way for a future where young talents shape groundbreaking advancements in the world of science and technology.
In November 2021, Goodwood invested £7million into a 3.5mw biomass waste-to-energy facility, delivering both hot water and electricity to venues across the estate. It is fuelled by 3,500 tonnes of straw from Festival of Speed and 3,500 tonnes of woodchip from our Forestry team.